Thursday 18 September 2008

Bit o' this, bit o' that

I haven't had much of note to blog about this week so I thought I'd post a little update on how I'm going personally.

Quitting smoking is still going well - there's been a lapse or two here and there but overall, I'm forging ahead as planned. Already I've noticed a difference in my lung capacity when I'm going on one of my (now regular) morning jogs.

I'm also in the throes of sorting out some of my financial issues - I've drawn up a repayment plan for my outstanding debts (credit cards, personal loans etc) and started putting money aside for savings, holidays and Christmas presents. Pretty soon I won't know myself.

I'm still enjoying being editor - sometimes I miss the writing part a bit but more often than not I can sink my teeth into a story if I want to. And I do love being my own boss, to a certain extent.

I went to the ballet on Friday and saw what was touted as a modernised version of the nutcracker. In essence, the ballet wasn't really anything like the nutcracker, apart from a couple of tenous thematic links, but I actually enjoyed myself. Last time I went to the ballet (to see the Taming of the Shrew) I hated it. The high point of the ballet on Friday was seeing the you-couldn't-carve-these-out-of-wood-if-you-tried abs of the female lead. They were horrifying and inspiring at the same time.

And on Tuesday I went to see Hellboy II at the movies. Put together by the ever brilliant Guillermo del Torres (the director of Pan's Labyrinth) it was more than just a superhero movie, it was a fairytale of sorts. This guy is amazing in what he can do to weave intricate stories and create magical worlds. See it if you can.

And that's me. Thanks for listening. :)

1 comment:

Dave said...

Good for you Dave. Sounds like your revision of you life is going well. - Dave