Saturday 15 March 2008

Sometimes you just have to do things you don't want to do

I promised a guy for whom I have a lot of respect that I would help him out with a team sport event he is holding in Armadale tomorrow.

The problem is, I'm already drunk and it's only the beginning of the evening. My friends and I are going to a new club called Shape in Perth, and I fear tomorrow will be most difficult.

You see, the sport is dragon boat racing. Essentially what you do is hang out the side of a rowing boat with one paddle and dig into the water in an effort to beat the other boats around you.

During the week I was compelled to cancel on him, knowing I had a big night planned on Saturday night. The thing is, that would have been unfair of me.

One of the most compelling bits of advice I was ever given by my ex-girlfriend Helen was that sometimes, you have to do things you don't want to do.

So I'm viewing tomorrow as character building. Tomorrow I will take my hangover and I will row it out of me.

And if you don't hear from me again you'll know why.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My sister and I once went out on a dragon boat practice race with the British team in Singapore. A woman borrowed my life jacket to sit on bcause her arse was getting wet. The boat sunk. Luckily I could swim well (I was 11). The Aussies fished us out of the river before we got SARS. The end.

Anonymous said...

OH and my dad found my life jacket and thought I had drowned. Enough for you? I thought so...

Dave said...

I feel SO much better :)

shiny said...

Doing things you don't want to do? Tell me about it. I just wrote a story about people eating for diabetes. Public holidays bring out the best and the worst in us, I fear.

Jessica said...

I suppose since you'll already be hanging over the edge of a boat hurling up chunks will be convenient. :)

Dave said...

Multifuncional, go away and come back when you can spell