Thursday 6 March 2008

And sometimes, just sometimes, I love my boss

As a follow on to my last post, my editor, in true form, got the number of the person who had orginally called us for the story - only to say they didn't want any publicity - and put him right on the spot.

"Hi, just wondering what happened last week, I mean one minute you're telling us the family don't want any publicity, the next they're on the front page of the Sunday Times?"

Turns out it wasn't a sneaky effort on the family's part or anything like that - the journo who wrote the story pretty much forced himself on the family by rocking up unannounced on their doorstep with a photographer.

He talked them into it and gave them no indication that he would be running it on the front page - let alone alongside a headline that said "He died defending his suburb"

They were outraged with the coverage and don't want anything else to do with it.

So at the end of the day, it was just one of those journos intent on giving the rest of us a bad name.

3 comments:

shiny said...

Oh. Now I feel bad about all the awful things I said about the widow.
But honestly, from the Slimes it's not really surprising behaviour. And there's no excuse whatsoever.

Jessica said...

Ugh. How frustrating. That would have been a plum story, too.

I used to know a guy at a rival paper like that. Worst thing was when people in the community would screw up who worked where. I called him Helmet Head. He had really bad hair.

Dave said...

hehe