Monday 27 April 2009

To boldly laugh where no man has laughed before


I just got back from seeing the new Star Trek movie and can I say - it was sensational. I was going to go on about how it is a great prequel, about how Zachary Quinto and Simon Pegg just got cooler (if that's possible) and about how it appeals to Trekkies and non-Trekkies alike but...
...but instead I'm going to write about the tosser that was sitting next to me.
When we got there we sat in the row with two seats separating me from the nearest stranger, as I often like to sit at the movies. He made some comment about him not biting or smelling so if we wanted to move up we could. I laughed politely and then decided that since it was a preview and it would most likely be packed out, it would be wise to move up.
That was a decision I would live to regret.
The guy proceeded to laugh wildly throughout most of the movie - I mean, he was literally slapping his leg. Which would be okay if we were at the latest Ben Stiller film. But we weren't. It went a little like this:
Scene: Bad guy gets killed.
Reaction: Raucous laughter.
Scene: Vicious alien attacks character.
Reaction: Raucous laughter.
Scene: Character comes close to dying but is saved at the last moment.
Reaction: Raucous laughter.
Luckily the movie was good enough to drown him out for the most part. I'd definitely recommend watching it - as long as you leave yourself a seat or two between the nearest stranger.

1 comment:

Me said...

This is why I pay a little extra to sit away from the public in the fancy seats. Suffice to say, I don't go to the movies often.