Wednesday 18 February 2009

Some like it hot.

But I sure as hell don't.
So I went to a very nice little Indonesian restaurant in Mt Lawley last night. I can't for the life of me remember the name but it was in a quiet suburban street surrounded by houses.
After choosing the dish I wanted I ordered - taking great care to pronounce the name correctly. Or so I thought.
The owner told me I needed glasses.
Anyway, that's by the by.
It was a lamb dish - bite-size pieces of lamb tossed through a cucumber, tomato, been shoot and green salad with a spicy sauce and some chopped fresh chilli.

Every time I try something with chilli I think that maybe this time it'll be different. Maybe this time it won't blow my head off and reduce me to tears.
It wasn't different. I nearly cried. Meanwhile, the lovely Phynea has ordered a rendang curry (of the 'burn your oesophagus' variety) and proceeded to sit there and tell me how hot it was through massive gulps of water.

I don't get it. Why do people enjoy the pain of chilli? For me, eating should be a pleasurable experience. Not one that leaves you red-faced, in tears, and throughly regretting it the next day.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've seen a documentary about that...don't recall much about it anymore, it was something to do with the taste buds. In short, when two people eat the same food they don't necessarily get the same taste. Some people feel the hot and sour in food much more than the others do. :)

Dave said...

Cool - thanks for the explanation :)

Dave said...

Maybe, but hot food is hot! It burns at both ends. But I like it as it's an extension of our flavour sensations. - Dave

Anonymous said...

Yes, but again I guess what is enjoyable hot food for someone might be unbearable for another depending on how our sense of taste works.

I am one of those people who enjoys hot and spicy stuff every once in a while. Have you guys ever tried hot olive oil (olive oil with red peppers)? It is delicious on the top of italian style thin crust pizza.

Anonymous said...

I love spicy food too - I just taste the flavour, not the burning. But they do say that you develop immunity over exposure, so maybe my taste buds are just dead.

Terra Shield said...

I just saw a show on this last night... apparently chilli has about 4 times more vitamin C than oranges. Your brain kind of registers that to the "want" receptor, so people end up eating chilli despite the burning sensation because their bodies need it. Cool, huh?