Thursday 26 February 2009

I have a secret to confess.

I have an alter ego.
And he's a superstar.
He's a world famous DJ called DJ DeeJay - and he pretty much created dance music.
I've even created a Facebook fan page for this mythical artist.
It's true - anyone with Facebook should do a page search for DJ DeeJay and become a fan - I've got 20-odd fans at the moment, the more the merrier.

There's a few funny things to point out about this little delusion I have.
Firstly, I do actually know the basics of DJing. A dear friend of mine once taught me how to - I even had my own half hour set put together. Unfortuntely I'm not quite good enough to command thousands of people at a summer festival, but maybe one day.

Secondly, do you have any idea how easy it is to get publicity for someone who doesn't exist in today's media hungry world?
I've had a mention on radio already - one of my work friends rang a friend of hers who was on the mike at an independent radio station one day who, during a break between songs, said "...and a big shout out to DJ DeeJay, keeping it real..."

The same friend is a contributor to our local street press. When asked at the end of last year to include her top five dance albums of the year, at number five she submitted "DJ DeeJay - Smashing the Awkwardness."

So, essentially, my alter ego who doesn't exist has had a mention in local print and radio.

The same friend from work has recently got a brand new Apple Mac. She, unlike me is a real DJ. So the point of my story is that, sometime in the next month or two, we're going to start putting together some actual tracks under the moniker DJ DeeJay vs DJ Lara H.
It's going to be awesome.
I'm so very excited :)

2 comments:

Steve said...

Good news, follow your dreams.

Dave said...

Sounds like fun. Especially if you believe in him too! - Dave