Saturday 22 November 2008

Time to say goodbye

I've had a bit of sad news recently.
My grandma (my dad's mother) has taken a turn for the worse and it looks like she won't be around much longer.
It's hard for me because she lives in Toowoomba, QLD, and I don't really have the finances to get over there and see her at the moment.
But my dad's over there, and he was with his brother and sister this weekend so the three kids got to be together one more time. His brother lives in the US so they're all spread apart a fairly large distance.

For me, I've had a pretty good run. Not only do I still have my parents around but right now, as I type this, all four of my grandparents are still alive. For a 25-year-old, that's a pretty good run really.

So Dad called me today when he went to visit Grandma in hospital. I spoke to her for what is likely to be the last time I ever will. It wasn't easy. She was very croaky and had a lot of difficulty speaking but I told her a bit about how well I was going and how my life was pretty excellent at the moment.

In true Grandma style, when I asked her how she was, she said "I'm prety good. We're managing pretty well over here." Never mind that she's quite literally on her deathbed.

While it was hard talking to her, I fully appreciate how lucky I am to a) have had all my grandparents around for so long and b) to speak to Grandma one more time and tell her how much I love her.

When I was three, I used to go over Grandma and Grandad's house when we lived in Toowoomba. I remember playing with Grandma. I would be Kermit the Frog, and I would pretend to go to work with my litle suitcase. Then all of a sudden Grandma, playing Miss Piggy, would scram "Monster!" and I would run back and kill the monster, saving Miss Piggy.
These sort of memories I will cherish forever.

4 comments:

shiny said...

Sorry to hear your Grandma's sick, but at least you did get to talk to her.

Hope you're okay.

Me said...

Sorry to hear the bad news, Dave.

Dave said...

Sorry about your Grandma Dave. It's nice that you have these memories of her and are not ashamed to say so. She is a very special person. - Dave

Steve said...

Hey Dave, Really sorry to hear about your Grandma being ill, it is good that you got to talk to her. My thoughts are with you at this difficult time. Cherish those memories.