Wednesday 19 November 2008

Cultural observations made over the weekend

Okay, so we're in the middle of the week already but bear with me.

Please don't grind in my direction
I went to a basketball game on the weekend to see the Perth Wildcats play. Look, I know the game itself originated from the US, but the Americanisation of the whole thing - even here in Perth - bordered on sickening. They play music over the PA during the game - you know, crap like "We Will Rock You" - and every 30 second timeout is accompanied by either dancers, hip-hop artists or cheerleaders.
And the dancers. Don't even get me started. I know cheerleading etc is an (almost) valid part of any American style sport, but at least make the cheerleaders over the age of 18. Please. I don't get offended easily, but seeing pre-pubescent girls bumping and grinding on the court in front of me was just too many types of wrong.

My Big Fat Greek Christening
I also went to a Greek Orthodox church for the first time. The lovely Phynea was in attendance as the godmother of her 8 month old niece, who was getting baptised. It was an incredibly interesting experience, especially considering I had been brought up in the Catholic Church. The basic tenets are the same, it's just there's more Greek and the services are longer. It's also a much more informal affair. I was told that it's okay to chat amongst yourselves before and during the service, and that kids running around the place is not frowned upon.
Phynea told me to expect something in the vein of "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". It wasn't. But maybe that's because it wasn't a wedding.

3 comments:

Me said...

Them Greeks know how to party. No doubt.

Dave said...

An ionteresting weekend Dave. I wonder if you watch NZ and Australia play netball against each other? Do they televise it there?- Dave

Dave said...

Netball? Not really. Following the cricket at the moment though...