Tuesday 25 November 2008

Housemates

Housemates are a funny thing, aren't they?

I'm currently living with two housemates. One has practically been my best mate for the last 5 or 6 years. Luckily, we don't have any issues between the two of us so far. He works at night, I work during the day. We see each other enough, but not too much. We also enjoy hanging out with each other still. It works well.

The Third Housemate was, until recently, working on the mines up north. He would work two weeks on and one off. His one off would be spent lying on the couch, watching tv and taking drugs and not much else. It was a little annoying for him to be doing that the whole week, but since it was essentially only one week a month it wasn't such a big deal.

But last week, TTH came home for good. He is now unemployed. I don't know if any of you have ever lived with an unemployed housemate before, but if they're not studying and don't have a slightly active social life it can get a little trying at times.

He tells me his grand plans. He's going over east in January, he's doing this, he's doing that, blah, blah, blah.
I've been having trouble figuring out what annoys me more - the fact that I never get any time to myself at home anymore or the fact that he is getting away with doing what I'd love to do. Nothing. Ever.
You be the judge.

2 comments:

Me said...

I understand EXACTLY the situation you're in. I've had quite a few housemates in my time and I've been on both sides of the fence. Been living with my current house mate for 6 of the last 8 years and we get on perfectly well. He has put up with quite alot with me considering I've done alot of growing up.

Anonymous said...

Totally get your situation. I've had housemates during uni, when I'd have heaps anyway plus juggling work --- who would sleep in and hardly did anything because mum and dad paid for them. Of course, I've also had the odd-psychopath and I reckon they are worse! :P