Saturday 23 August 2008

There's even a little part of me that wants to do a donkey vote. Only a little part though.

I'm becoming increasingly concerned as the State election draws closer.
There's two weeks to go now.
The West, as to be expected, has railed against the Labor Government from the moment the election was called.

The problem I'm having is that, as the day draws closer, I'm starting to see that most of what they're saying is right.

I've always been a left-wing Labor voter. I even voted for Mark Latham, for god's sake (hey, i was young and didn't know anything about politics. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.)
My grandfather worked on the docks in the 1940s, so I guess you could say left wing politics have kind of always been in my blood.

But the Labor Party does not deserve to be re-elected.
And now I find myself agreeing with the West's criticisms of Carpenter and his inept and uncaring government.
I read today that Eric Ripper pulled $1.5 billion out of nowhere and pushed it through cabinet the week before the election was called. $1.5 billion! And this from a Government who caused disgracefully paid teachers to strike because there wasn't enough money. The same Government who had a god-knows-how-many-months pay dispute with police over a meagre rise to a paltry salary.
They called the election the day after the Liberal Party installed a new leader.
And now all of a sudden they're throwing millions of dollars at anything that moves.

They need to be taught a lesson, but at the same time the idea of voting for a conservative Government grates so strongly with me that I just can't bring myself to do it, regardless of how good the politicians are that make up the Liberal Party.

I live in the electorate of Fremantle. I can tell you right now there's no way I'll be voting for Jim McGinty. But the Liberal candidate hasn't even made himself known to me down there. And not only am I a Fremantle resident, but I'm the editor of the Fremantle community newspaper! Not one press release, not one flyer in the post from this faux-candidate.

So I guess I'll be voting Greens. They've been the most vocal in my electorate - I'd be willing to vote independent but again, I've heard nothing from any independent candidates.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm frustrated. Frustrated that the State Labor Party, led by Alan Carpenter, have made me so disillusioned as to not vote for them. Frustrated that the only other choice of major parties is a party that traditionally and morally places money and business ahead of social welfare and compassion.

At the end of the day, at least I can take solace in the fact that John Howard is no longer our Prime Minister.

1 comment:

Steve said...

I agree Dave.

I have never seen our state of politics and our politicians in this state as low as they are now.

Maybe its time for us all to change our voting habits.