Sunday 24 August 2008

I like Tom Cruise again.

And believe me, that is not a statement I would make lightly.

The man who went from heartthrob to headache has redeemed himself - completely - in Ben Stiller's latest laugh-fest Tropic Thunder.

In it, Cruise plays a mega-rich Hollywood producer in disturbing make-up. He's bald, and has the arms and chest of a particularly hirstute gorilla. Even his hands are fake.

The movie itself is brilliant. It is essentially a massive piss take of Hollywood and the film making process, as well as the mega rich actors involved in it.

But Cruise steals the show as the foul mouthed money-means-everything producer. The best part? When he, out of the blue, cranks some crappy 50 Cent-style R and B song and proceeds to dance like a white man trying to imitate a black man.

I don't want to give away anything else but go see this film. It's a great laugh and Cruise's ability to completely take the piss out of himself - and I do mean completely - has made me believe that the man is human after all.
By far one of the best comedies I've seen in years.

2 comments:

my name is kate said...

I LIKED him in the movie but I was still a bit 'oh it's HIM'... Robert Downey Junior and that skinny cutie from Undeclared/Knocked Up carried it over the line though. Drop me in a jungle somewhere with them and I won't complain...

Dave said...

Tom's a big xxxx in real life, but I too like his acting. Guess that's all we need to know really about him - his public life. - Dave