Sunday 3 August 2008

Or the time that Matt J punched Matt C at the bike rack and then rode off on his bike?

I got the message this morning.
On Facebook, nonetheless.

"Hi guys, has anyone heard anything about our ten year reunion? 2010 is only a couple of years away and I wasn't sure whether this was planned by the school or if we did it ourselves."

Oh god.
Are we really at this stage?
Are we really planning for a ten year reunion that's still two years off?

Not that I'm too worried - but I do find the prospect of a reunion slightly sickening.
Likewise with the fact that everyone is friends with everyone else on Facebook these days.
Everyone seems to have forgotten the relationships we had in school.
On the one hand, I think that's a great thing - we're all moving up and becoming adults, which to a certain extent may mean that we can put the past behind us.
But part of me also thinks it's a little superficial.
Do you think, for example, that Daniel thought about the time Adam punched him in the face in front of a growing crowd of 13-year-olds before adding him as a Facebook friend?
Or do you think Kate thought twice about adding people like Elaine and Susan as her Facebook friends, people to whom she would not have given the time of day during our school years?

It is funny though, seeing where people are at these days.
For example, seeing a handful of the "popular" girls at school running around with children 18 months after graduation.
And seeing the guy who was one of the most homophobic men I'd ever met come out of the closet and become one of the campest guys I know.
And seeing the kids who were picked on in school becoming more successful and making more money in their adult years than their detractors.

Maybe it won't be so bad after all. Swings and roundabouts and all that....

4 comments:

my name is kate said...

Mine is coming up next year so I've been thinking about the same things. Although I suspect, as someone told me recently, nobody that you'd actually like to see ever goes to these things. So, eh, I don't know...

Jessica said...

I am Facebook "friends" with people I couldn't stand in high school!!! I think we just approve the friendships so we can peek at their profiles. :)

Don't feel bad about 10 years. I'm from the class of 1991! 20 years will soon be kicking me in the arse!

shiny said...

As Kate said, I was disappointed that no-one I was hoping to see was at mine. A few people I had forgotten existed were there and we all struggled to remember who was who for a while.

It did disappoint that all the same cliques fell in together - the boarders all in a circle chatting, the "popular"s all chatting together. I spent a bit of time hearing about one girl's sucessful career at Harvey Norman before heading off to drink wine.

I love looking at the pics on Facebook. No-one ever changes.

Dave said...

I have never been to a school re-union. Have re-made contact with friends from school over the years, but after some discussion about "what have you been up too" eventually the conversation runs out of puff as our lives and interests have changed, and we find we are no longer interested. Sad, but a fact. - Dave