Friday 8 August 2008

I have something to confess...


...I'm a bit of a softie at heart.

Don't tell anyone, it would ruin my reputation, but I don't mind a heartwarming tale of long-lasting love of an afternoon.
Sometimes I actually like to write the stories about Golden Wedding anniversaries we do with some of our community newspapers. I know, I know.

Like the one I wrote down in Rockingham this week, about a couple who first met as teenagers in Malta, where the wife was born.
She saw her future husband - an English orphan who was living nearby - and, after expressing her interest in him (late 1940s style) he swiftly turned her down by saying "I'm not interested in little girls."
Years later, she grew up and moved to Australia. When the jive scene started in the 50s, she used to go out with her sister and at on of these events met a man who turned out to be her childhood crush from Malta.
They've now been married 50 years.
But that isn't really why I wanted to blog here today. What I really wanted to point out was the picture, taken by our photographer.

There's nothing particularly eye-catching about the subject, but the framing is almost perfect. Note the position of the couch and the matching vases in proportion to the edge of the picture. But it's not just that - look at the couple gazing at each other. Then look down below the waist. They're both wearing tracksuit pants and tatty shoes.

This picture just sums it all up for me - they didn't go out of their way to get dressed up for the photo or anything like that. They didn't need to.
They have everything they need right in front of them.

4 comments:

shiny said...

I so very disappointed in you.

my name is kate said...

Johnsy we've ALWAYS known you're a massive pussy... that's why you're ok.

Dave said...

Nice story Dave, and photo. - Dave

Jessica said...

Nice shot and story!

They must've thought they were getting their pictures taken from the waist up!

The sweetness of the story almost makes me forgive his vile gold chain. Almost.