Thursday 24 July 2008

Is it just me?

Music, to me, is my main passion in life.
Sure, writing is great, and I do love my sporting teams, but for me, there's nothing better than that shiver down the spine you get right when the lead singer hits THAT note at a live gig.
Or even the shiver you get when the moment you've been waiting for, that moment when the background music fades out and the band walks onstage to the overflowing anticipation of audience members.
In fact, I get the shivers a lot when it comes to music.

I don't know what it is about me in particular, but I'm yet to find someone who gets quite as excited as I do when a) one of my favourite bands put out a new album, or b) one of my favourite bands announce a Perth show.

I'm like a kid at Christmas. I've now been to eight Big Days Out on the trot (I will never miss one as long as they're running) and I have trouble sleeping the night before.
Seriously.
I sleep in fits and starts and, usually, at 4.30am, I'm wide awake at the prospect of seeing a plethora of bands that I've never seen before.

I'm the guy who, mid conversation in a restaurant or cafe, will stop and say "Oh my god I love this song," while the person I'm talking to makes some comment about not realising the music was even on.

I say all this because one of my favourite new bands, The Fratellis, are coming to Perth next week. I'm so excited. I've been listening to The Fratellis songs for a good month or two in anticipation, trying to decide which ones they'll include in the set and where.
No doubt I'll tell you all about it next week. But for now, I'm just going to try and focus on the work at hand and push the idea of seeing them aside.
Otherwise there would be no work done at all.

4 comments:

Dave said...

I know this sounds strange now, but I felt that way when Elvis Presley sang. Still do. - Dave

Dave said...

Awesome :) there's nothing wrong with The King, Dave

Anonymous said...

I too have beeing going to the BDO for many, many years and I also can't sleep the night before but that's because I'm usually hanging out with the bands. I could name drop but I really don't want to upset you. :)

Jessica said...

Isn't it fun to be excited about seeing a concert?! I love having one to look forward to. Dang, I've got to find a concert to look forward to!