Wednesday 30 September 2009

Take a number

As someone who works for a community newspaper, local government elections are always a mixed bag.
On the one hand they are a rich vein of news for a month or two - on the other hand every man and his dog crawls out of the woodwork to either nominate, defam a candidate or just bitch about how politicians never keep their promises.
Local government elections always seem to be that much nastier than State or Federal elections for some reason.

Today I had the mayor of one of my local governments come in and tell me he thought my paper had an agenda against him. Not only that, but he thought it had had an agenda against him for the past ten years. Which is ridiculous considering a) there's been about five different editors in that time and b) I don't care enough about this guy to have any sort of agenda against him.

It was the first time I'd spoken to the guy, he'd made no attempt to contact me beforehand and to top it all off he kept talking over the top of me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm always open to constructive criticism but the guy's a dick. I'm praying he doesn't win the election. But in the meantime I'll just keep putting out the fairest, least biased paper possible. Cockhead.

No comments: