Monday 30 April 2007

On a good day??

Working in an open office has its advantages and disadvantages.
I love being able to interact with fellow journos and have a laugh, or poke fun at some unfortunate individual who happens to find himself in the headlines.
However, when it comes to making personal phone calls in the open office people can sometimes forget others are in earshot.
I was greeted this morning by one of my esteemed colleagues, who arrived at work an hour and a half late, making a phone call to someone (god knows who - maybe Centrelink) to tell them about his life.
I don't know who he was talking to, but I heard about how he was divorced twice, came from a strict Catholic upbringing, had mental problems and had been on and off medication and in and out of hospital for them over the course of his life.
I also heard about how he had had triple bypass surgery, and a couple of heart attacks since then, but continued to heavily smoke cigarettes.
When asked how many, he replied: "On a good day, about 15. But on a busy day, and bear in mind I sometimes work 18 hours (which i find a little hard to believe) it can be up to 50."

Up to 50 cigarettes a day?? That makes me feel sick.
Seriously though, there's a line. If you need to talk with someone about the most intimate details of your life, it's not too hard to find a place where you're on your own.
I don't want to hear about it at 10am on a Monday morning - call me unsympathetic if you like but just keep it to yourself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think open plan offices SUCK... I hate them and I miss my old private office where I could have complete privacy and quiet which encouraged me to get work done.

I have ADHD after all!

Working in an office all day with women - who talk non stop about random stuff - means you talk about shoes, boys, clothes etc all the time!!

Now, that might appear fun to most but I actually need to get my work done!!