Monday 25 May 2009

What I've Been Listening To OR Did I Mention I love Music?

I used to put music reviews up here from time to time, but I haven't in quite a while. Part of me thinks it's a bit self-serving to post large reviews of CDs I've been listening to anyway, so I thought I'd post a few brief ones in one go.

Doves - Kingdom of Rust
This epic album has taken Doves to a whole new level. Fans of previous Doves albums will find enough hooks in here to keep them coming back, while new fans will find enough depth and originality to add this band as one of their favourites.
Four stars.

Razorlight - Slipway Fires
While this album doesn't have the instant appeal Razorlight's previous album did, it doesn't take long to grow on you. Unfortunately, it also doesn't take long to plateau out. Eventually I came to realise that I wanted this album to be as awesome as the last and in the end, apart from a couple of gems, it just wasn't.
Two and a half stars.

Little Birdy - Confetti
This album is a big step up for Little Birdy, particularly from the sleazy electronic sound that permeated their last LP. I really like this album, and that's coming from someone who really doesn't like Little Birdy. Gone are the electronic sounds and the album grooves with a hint of Mowtown. Check it out.
Three and a half stars.

Eminem - Relapse
See how I buried this one in the middle to try and maintain the illusion of credibility? I like this album, although it is nowhere near the peak of his earlier work. It's the closest since the last couple of albums and Relapse sees a return to form of sorts for Eminem. He is at his antagonistic best throughout the album and the songs in general just sound better than I expected.
Three stars.

Glasvegas - Glasvegas
There's something about these guys. The soaring guitar melodies combined with the distinct Scottish accent coming through with the vocals perhaps. This album is a great sing-a-long one and if I was to name one downfall, it would be that some of the songs start to blend into one another after a little while.
Three stars.

1 comment:

Me said...

You're gone for what seems like forever and then you return as if you were never gone! I deman satisfaction.

Little Bird is good. So is Eminem. Haven't heard their new albums. Funny though, I have Little Birdy's song Relapse in my head right now. Very fitting.