Sunday 23 August 2009

Musings on death

Hi. It's been a while.

Sorry I haven't blogged in so long. To be honest I haven't had much to blog about.

But tonight I had news that my grandad passed away. This is the grandad who was married to the grandma of mine that passed away back in december last year.

When I went over for my grandma's funeral last year I was lucky enough to spend some time with my grandad. It was funny because the sort of stories he told me in that two week period were the sort of stories that would bore me to death if anyone else had told them to me. But because it was my Grandad and because I was there for my Grandma's funeral I hung on every word he said.

Even when we got out of the car at the funeral home to go to the viewing of my Grandma (at Purslowe Funeral Homes), he has a quirky historical tale to tell me:

"Did you know that the Purslowes were one of the pioneer families in Toowoomba?" he said. I didn't, but that didn't matter. I appreciated the fact that I was able to listen to my Grandad and spend that time with him.


My Grandad passed away this evening. He was an author, a World War II veteran, a historian, a gentleman and the sort of man I could only aspire to be.

The last time I saw my Grandad was at my grandma's funeral. I hugged him and told him I loved him "so much" - something I wouldn't previously have said to a grandparent.

"I'm very proud of you," he said.

That's enough to make me smile.

Even today.

1 comment:

my name is kate said...

So sorry to hear it tiger. x